Index General Support requests Feature requests Content requests Bug reports Misc issues Tips & tricks How to... Notices

Can't apply icon to shortcuts (Bug reports)

by Lois McCabe @, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:26 (3858 days ago)

Running as Administration
Windows 7
Icomancer applies icon changer to FOLDER only after restarting system.
Icomancer advises the following when trying to apply icon to SHORTCUT:

Access Denied:
Cannot set icon to "C:\Users\McCabe\Desktop\QuikLooks.lnk" shortcut. Please ensure that the shortcut is writable or run icomancer as Administrator.

Exception info:
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Shell32.Shell'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{286E6F1B-7113-4355-9562-96B7E9D64C54}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).
at Icomancer.Functions.AssignPrebuiltIconToShortcut(String IconFile, Int32 IconIndex, String ShortcutFile) in H:\Icomancer\Icomancer\Functions.vb:line 1913
at Icomancer.Functions.SetIconToFSobject(String IconFileName, String TargetFSobjectName, IconAssignationTypes AssignationType) in H:\Icomancer\Icomancer\Functions.vb:line 1727

Two causes, one is windows explorer, the other I have to check...

by acaballero @, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 19:35 (3857 days ago) @ Lois McCabe

You don't have to restart the computer in order to see the icons applied to folders. Please check this thread for info about it.

About setting icons to shortcuts: please run icomancer as administrator and try again. If still you get the same -or other- exception, please let me know. I have to check if some Windows Update changed the shell interface for that pourpose -which is most unlikely, but possible-.

by Lois McCabe @, Thursday, September 26, 2013, 19:50 (3857 days ago) @ acaballero

Opened Icomancer to run as administrator several times. Attempted to apply icon to shortcut. Continue to receive same message as before.

by acaballero @, Monday, October 14, 2013, 11:21 (3840 days ago) @ Lois McCabe

Try something else: make a copy of the shortcut you want to imbue and move it over the desktop, then try applying the icon to that copy. I've successfully did that on Win8, but I've had Windows UAC completely disabled.

Keep in count that setting an icon to a shortcut located on the start menu folders may be impossible for icomancer if your security settings are too high, either by Windows UAC or your antivirus/antimalware/etc.

RSS Feed of thread