Index General Support requests Feature requests Content requests Bug reports Misc issues Tips & tricks How to... Notices

icomancer won't start (Support requests)

by Daniel M. Vermut @, Wednesday, September 23, 2015, 23:15 (3136 days ago)

I installed icomancer today and when I try to start the program it will not start because it states that ImageMagick is not installed.

Everything is run with administrator privileges on a Windows 8.1 64-bit Intel system.

I have tried every version of ImageMagick 16 & 32 bit dynamic and high dynamic range imaging. I've tried them all. I also have ghostscript installed.

After each install, I tested each version of ImageMagick and they worked perfectly on the test image.

I even tried running icomancer with ImageMagick open and running an even though it is in the system path, icomancer still didn't see it.

Please tell me what I can do to get ocomancer to work.

*** Many thanks ***

DMV@usa.net

Thanks to UAC

by acaballero @, Thursday, September 24, 2015, 00:23 (3136 days ago) @ Daniel M. Vermut

The imagemagick component used by icomancer is the shared DLL object, wich is surely being blocked by windows UAC.

No matter if you're administrator, if you haven't used the registry hack to turn off UAC completely -and all "modern UI" apps with it-, you'll face a lot of problems installing unsigned components.

Imagemagick executables are one thing, but the shared DLL object is another, and it sits as an API, not as an executable.

So, you may try installing imagemagic as administrator (by running the installer on an elevated run), that may tell UAC that you really want that all imagemagick components are properly installed.

If that fails, it is possible that your antivirus is blocking the component installation.

This is a usual problem with highly secured environments. And given the elevated security measures by Microsoft on Win8 and above, it will be more difficult for standard users to run icomancer... and I'm really sorry about that, because MS is killing my app.

For what's worth, I ran icomancer on Win10 with no issues, and I currently run it on my Win8.1 machine, but, then again, I had UAC taken down and I'm using Avast (less problematic from all free antiviruses) having the icomancer executive whitelisted.

Thanks to UAC

by Daniel M. Vermut @, Tuesday, September 29, 2015, 01:39 (3131 days ago) @ acaballero

Thank you for the suggestions.

I always do installs at elevated level as System Administrator.

I will try the anti-virus disabling. I'm using McAfee.

If that doesn't help, I will try disabling UAC to see if that makes a difference.

I will report back and let you know what, if anything, was successful.

*** Thanks Again ***

RSS Feed of thread