Index General Support requests Feature requests Content requests Bug reports Misc issues Tips & tricks How to... Notices

problem with installing Iconmancer after Win 7 reinstall (Support requests)

by Grace @, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 13:08 (2739 days ago)

I've been using Iconmancer for years and love it.
Although it's buggy.

Here is my latest issue :
I bought a new SSD and clean installed Windows 7 / Windows 10 (both x64) in dual boot.
As usual one of the first programs I installed in both systems was Iconmancer (used icomancer-ImageMagick-Setup.exe).
Result : Iconmancer installed well in Win 10.
In Win 7 though Iconmancer repeatedly failed installing ImageMagic (tried several times, first wiping out previous install with Total Uninstall).

Tried also installing ImageMagic directly from its homepage, but the version available there is newer (v.7) than the one used by Iconmancer so eventually were getting the same error notification : "the ImageMagic is not installed".

It's worth to note that in my previous Windows 7 x64 installs there were no problems with installing Iconmancer.

1./ Any suggestions what might be the reason of my current problem ?

2./ Maybe you could provide a link to the ImageMagick 6.8.6-10 Q16 Win32 Dynamic installer.

Thank you in advance.

problem with installing Iconmancer after Win 7 reinstall

by Grace @, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 13:49 (2739 days ago) @ Grace

I've been using Iconmancer for years and love it.
Although it's buggy.

Here is my latest issue :
I bought a new SSD and clean installed Windows 7 / Windows 10 (both x64) in dual boot.
As usual one of the first programs I installed in both systems was Iconmancer (used icomancer-ImageMagick-Setup.exe).
Result : Iconmancer installed well in Win 10.
In Win 7 though Iconmancer repeatedly failed installing ImageMagic (tried several times, first wiping out previous install with Total Uninstall).

Tried also installing ImageMagic directly from its homepage, but the version available there is newer (v.7) than the one used by Iconmancer so eventually were getting the same error notification : "the ImageMagic is not installed".

It's worth to note that in my previous Windows 7 x64 installs there were no problems with installing Iconmancer.

1./ Any suggestions what might be the reason of my current problem ?

2./ Maybe you could provide a link to the ImageMagick 6.8.6-10 Q16 Win32 Dynamic installer.

Thank you in advance.

Just a moment ago I tried also using : icomancer-Full-Setup.exe installer.
The result stubbornly the same : "ImageMagic not installed" :-(

I'm pretty sure UAC is the problem

by acaballero @, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 15:25 (2739 days ago) @ Grace

You see, I've been using icomancer all along from Win7 to Win10 and never encountered an issue AT ALL because I've always disabled UAC. On win7 from the control panel and on Win8+ using a registry hack.

Side story: I went back to Win8.1 after a horrendous month with Win10, and when my hard disk died, I went back to Win7. Been there for two months and will remain there until the hell gets frozen.

On all my test VMs, UAC and kicky antiviruses always make icomancer get "buggy" because they don't let it touch files in %programdata% and sometimes in the user's "my documents" folder.

Regarding imagemagick: I don't have the slightest idea of why it is flagged as malware sometimes. It is completely ridiculous. Specially because it is properly signed!

Anyway... Try installing icomancer using the standalone installer and then grab and install imagemagick from here:

Note: there's an icomancer hotfix you would like to install... it's available on the downloads page.

Please let me know if you have further issues. But before that: if you're a power user and you know how your PC works, you may like to disable the useless UAC :)

Regarding my last post

by acaballero @, Sunday, September 18, 2016, 15:33 (2739 days ago) @ Grace

I fixed the imagemagick download URLS (mistyped downloads with an m) so you'll get them fine.

Remember that you have to install the OLE control (last option in the dialog).

PD: I haven't updated imagemagick to the latest version because there are issues with the OLE control, but 6.8 is and will continue to be OK.

Regarding my last post

by Grace @, Warsaw / Poland, Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:26 (2735 days ago) @ acaballero

I fixed the imagemagick download URLS (mistyped downloads with an m) so you'll get them fine.

Remember that you have to install the OLE control (last option in the dialog).

PD: I haven't updated imagemagick to the latest version because there are issues with the OLE control, but 6.8 is and will continue to be OK.

Hi Cancer,

Thanks for the link and a reminder to install the OLE control.

Following your advice - I disabled UAC completely before both : ImageMagic and Icomancer installs.
Besides - this is a fresh Win 7 install, so I haven't got any third party AV/AM installed yet.

Fortunately everything went smoothly this time, so I can enjoy working with Icomancer in W7 again. :-D

BTW
I fully agree with your opinion about W10. :-P
I set up Win7/10 dual boot machine, but definitely still consider Win7 my main system.... despite even my latest W7 issues with Icomancer. while it's been working out of the box in W10.

Take care

Grace

RSS Feed of thread