Index General Support requests Feature requests Content requests Bug reports Misc issues Tips & tricks How to... Notices

icomancer sets system attribute on folders (Misc issues)

by Harvey Rarback @, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 19:55 (3980 days ago)

I am running icomancer 1.3.3. When I imbue a folder icon, icomancer adds the system attribute to the folder. I don't know why it does this, but it is not desirable behavior.

--Harvey

that's a request for setting any icon to a windows folder...

by acaballero @, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 20:53 (3980 days ago) @ Harvey Rarback

Windows explorer doesn't show any icon set in the folder's "desktop.ini" file without the "system" attribute set to the folder.

That's something any icon-to-folder app has to do since Windows XP -Frankly, I don't remember if that was also possible on Windows 9x-.

File system folders are commonly displayed with a standard icon and set of properties, which specify, for instance, whether the folder is shared. You can customize the appearance and behavior of an individual folder by creating a Desktop.ini file for that folder.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144102%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

that's a request for setting any icon to a windows folder...

by Harvey Rarback @, Monday, May 27, 2013, 14:24 (3979 days ago) @ acaballero

Thanks for the quick response.

Using the Properties | Customize | Change icon interface creates a desktop.ini file but only sets the folder attribute to R, not S.

Nope... it is set to "S"

by acaballero @, Monday, May 27, 2013, 15:20 (3979 days ago) @ Harvey Rarback

Open the parent folder of some folder you've set an icon to, press the shift key and right click on an empty space of the window. You'll see, along with other commands, one that says "Open command prompt here". Click on it and you'll get a command window opened.

Then type:

attrib "<folder name>"

Hit enter and you'll see something like this:

S Drive:\Folder name

Example:

H:\Icomancer>attrib Icomancer
S H:\Icomancer\Icomancer

The "S" states for "System".

There is no way to set the "System" attribute to a folder from the Windows Explorer. You can only do it thru the Windows Shell API or thru the attrib command from the Command Line Interface (as shown above).

RSS Feed of thread